Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Thank you for your sacrafice......

I am struggling writing this post but I feel it is important to remember the men and women who have lost their lives while peacekeeping around the world.  I have made it to the end of my Mission however it has not ended the way I was hoping or expecting.  I lost a friend and colleague to an ambush that occurred in the Zam Zam IDP camp on the 10th of October 2011. Two Rwandan soldiers and one Senegalese Police Advisor lost their lives while 6 other peacekeepers have been seriously injured.  My friend, Inspector Mamadou Toure and the two Rwandan soldiers, resided in the same Zam Zam camp as the Canadians.  Mamadou lived with us for about 10 months before he had to move out of the tent accommodations.  He was such a kind man who would always look out for me and make sure that I was safe.  He always wanted to join me for a run however our schedules would never coincide.  He will be missed by many and I wish I could thank him for his commitment and sacrifice to this Mission.  He truly cared about the people of Darfur.  My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the three peacekeepers that were killed.  I know this is one of the risks of being a peacekeeper but it does not make it any easier to deal with. On the 13th of October 2011, UNAMID held a ceremony for the 3 fallen officers before their bodies were flown home to their families in Rwanda and Senegal.  It was difficult to attend but I would not have missed it for anything.  Mamadou you will be missed but never forgotten.


Rest in peace my friend.


1 comment:

  1. Our thoughts and prayers are with you Claire. Have a safe journey home.

    ReplyDelete