After 14 days of checking out we are done. I am sitting in my hotel room in Khartoum relaxing before we head to the airport at around 2100hrs. I still cannot believe that I arrived here one year ago and now I am jumping on a plane to head back to Calgary. The time has gone so quickly. Everything seemed so foreign to us when we first arrived and now it seems like we know this place like the back of our hand. We have seen a lot of changes within this last year which is good for the people of Darfur. It still has a long way to go but at least it is progressing (even if it is at a very slow rate).
![]() |
Our last day of checking out. Waiting to have our cargo picked up in Khartoum so that it can be shipped back to Canada. Hopefully it will all arrive in one piece. |
My Unit had a going away luncheon for me on Friday. It will be hard to say goodbye to several of the members of my team as I have worked with them for the last year. They have been like brothers to me. They always made sure I was safe when we travelled to the various Team Sites and CPCs around Darfur and also made sure I was never without food. I know I have made some friendships that will last well beyond this Mission
I have spent a lot of time with the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides these last few weeks. They held a ceremony for the Boy Scouts at one of the schools and they had us assist in presenting the Scouts their scarves. They even presented us with our own scarf making us honorary members. The Darfur Minister of Sports and Recreation made a special speech thanking me for investing the time with this organization and for building the relationship between the Canadians and the Sudanese people. I am happy to say that the new Canadian Task Force Commander has also taken an interest in this organization. He is trying to get the Canadian Military to assist in purchasing uniforms for both the Scouts, Guides and leaders within El Fasher. He is also trying to get an office/classrooms built on a piece of land that the Scouts own so the children can have their own place to hold meetings.
![]() |
Being honoured by one of the Girl Guide leaders for my work with the Girl Guides and Boy Scouts in El Fasher. |
![]() |
The Boy Scout ceremony was held at one of the schools in El Fasher. Several of the children stayed around to watch the ceremony which hopefully sparked their interest in becoming future Boy Scouts. |
![]() |
After many months of practicing the Boy Scouts put on a precision drill performance for their families and guests. |
Last Tuesday the Scout and Guide leaders had a going away party for me. It was a nice evening and they presented me with so many gifts and even presented me with a certificate. It was very touching and what is so amazing about these leaders is that they use their own money to support this organization. They do not have much but truly believe in what the Scouts and Guides stand for.
![]() |
The piece of land that the Boy Scouts own but do not have the money to build offices and classrooms. |
![]() |
I think this picture expresses the relationship that the Canadians have with the Sudanese Boy Scouts and Girl Guides in El Fasher. |
![]() |
Paying our respects to the Boy Scout organization outside their piece of land that they hope to develop in the near future. |
![]() |
The Girl Guide leaders presented me with a shadow box that the children and leaders made to remind me of all the things that Darfur represents. |
![]() |
Group photo with the leaders of the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides just outside the property where they would like to build their own offices and classrooms. |
![]() |
One of the leaders lives in the AbuShouk IDP camp and his only means of transportation to and from Scouts is "Lucky" his horse. |
We had another farewell party with the Scouts and afterwards Nawafil invited us to her home to meet here mother and sisters. It is not very often that you get an opportunity to go into a Sudanese home here in El Fasher. Even though the language barrier was a challenge it was an enjoyable evening and her sisters decided to wrap me up in one of their tobs so I could join them in a family photo. Nawafil has been a wonderful friend tome since I met her approximately 7 months ago. It was tough to say goodbye to her but I know we will remain in touch. I knew it would not be easy as she did not have a computer or a lot of money so I gave here my computer in hopes that we can continue our friendship over email and she can keep me updated on the Scouts and Guides.
![]() |
The Boy Scouts presenting me with some traditional fans to take home to Canada. |
![]() |
Saluting the head Girl Scout leader after being presented with the Sudanese Girl Guide patches. |
![]() |
Participating in some activities with the Boy Scouts. |
![]() |
As you can see I was not expecting this. |
Jack keeps laughing at me because I live in one of the smallest rooms in “Hotel Zam Zam” however he says that I have donated enough items to outfit two villages, the Scouts and Guides, and all the children that I have gotten to know over the last year. I have to say that assisting the people of Darfur has been very rewarding. To watch the smiles on these children’s faces when they are given a gift brings so much happiness. Even though we are a small contingent the people of El Fasher (Darfur) know who the Canadians are and know we are there for the right reasons. I am proud to wear the Canada flag on my shoulder and I hope more Canadians can be deployed into this region so we can continue to work on bringing peace and stability to the people.
Over a year ago when I was asked to come to UNAMID instead of UNMIS (South Sudan) I had reservations and was not sure why I had been chosen to come here. I told myself that at the end of my Mission I would ask myself this same question. As difficult as this Mission was I would not have traded it for anything. It helped me grow as a person, work with many other Police Advisors at an International level, understand the Sudanese culture which will benefit when working with the Sudanese community in Calgary, and how could I ever forget my Scouts and Guides. They always thank us for everything we have done for them and given them. I have to say that they have given us a bigger gift which we will cherish forever.
I want to end this post by thanking all of you who have followed me through my journey here in Darfur. Hopefully my blog has given you some insight into what I have experienced this last year. I do not think I can ever explain or describe what it is really like to live here but I hope my blog gave you a bit of an idea. We are fortunate to live in a developed country that everyone wants to be part of. This experience has given me a new perspective on life and what is truly important.
It has meant so much to me having the support from my family, friends and colleagues back home. I want to thank everyone who sent me emails, goodies, and donations this last year. I really could not have survived this without your support. I look forward seeing you all very soon.
Shukran jazilan (thank you very much)
![]() |
This little hedgehog lives outside our accommodations and has become like a pet to us. |
![]() |
For all of you back in Calgary you should be able to recognize the flag that I have on the flag pole here in Zam Zam. |
![]() |
Our final supper in Zam Zam (Darfur). One thing we enjoyed having was hamburgers on the BBQ. The guys are going to miss Jack's cooking. |
![]() |
We enjoyed our final meal with the Canadian flight crew that work here in Darfur. We were fortunate to have them fly us back to Khartoum before we departed for Canada. |





























No comments:
Post a Comment