I would like to share the story behind the Izzy dolls. Over the last year the Canadian Contingent both Military and Police distributed several hundred Izzy dolls to children of Darfur. The Izzy dolls started back when Master Cpl. Mark Isfeld was conducting his first tour in the Balkans. He sent his mother, Carol Isfeld (Courtney BC), a photo of a doll amongst the rubble of a building and wrote as the caption, “A little doll has lost her girl …….a little girl has lost her doll.” It was at that time that M/Cpl Isfeld’s mother started crocheting these little dolls that can fit into the pocket of a soldier’s uniform and be distributed to children who have nothing.
In 1994, M/Cpl Isfeld was killed in Croatia while removing landmines during his third UN tour. His mother continued to crochet these dolls and the idea caught on across the nation. Hundreds of mothers and grandmothers began participating in the crocheting of these dolls so that Canadian soldiers could continue to hand them out to children around the world.
I am honoured that I have been able to distribute these dolls to the children of Darfur. Their eyes light up when they receive one of these dolls that they can call their own. These dolls are a sign of peace and hope for the children. To know that they have something to hold that can bring them some comfort when they are living in a war torn country. The children have come to know who the Canadians are because of these dolls. Mrs. Isfeld passed away in 2007, but I am pleased to know that I have been able to carry on Mark and Carol Isfeld’s legacy.










No comments:
Post a Comment