Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

8 Month Mark..................

Once again time has flown by and I have so much to tell.  At the beginning of May I travelled to West Darfur to evaluate the Mournei CPC.  My partner, Saeed (Pakistan) and our new Gambian colleague, Saidybah, spent 7 days away from El Fasher.  The reason that the trip takes so long as there are limited flights to these areas.  On our way to and from Mournei we had to stay at the Sector West Headquarters in El-Geneina.  I somehow lucked out again and met another Canadian civilian who immigrated from Bangladesh.  They call him the “king” and I found out very quickly why?  He was in charge of all the properties and when he found out I was from Canada he took me under his wing, providing me with VIP accommodations.  If that did not happen I would be staying in a tent with no air conditioning (don’t worry I have attached a picture of what those tents look like…you will be shocked).

We made it to Mournei and it was another warm welcoming until I decided to go for a run around the compound. As I was running I felt there was something following me.  When I turned around I had two monkeys chasing me and they were determined to catch me.  The Nigerian Protection Force in the guard posts found this quite amusing.   I recently heard a story of one monkey in El Geneina that attacked a female Police Advisor and also killed a donkey…..I became a bit nervous (don’t forget about my experience in Rwanda with the Silverback…not sure what it is about monkeys/apes and me). Anyway, I was able to keep them away by throwing rocks in their direction.  My heart was racing and when I thought I was out of the clear and at the end of my run I came across another monkey who became very interested in my presence. One of the soldiers was able to keep him away and when I was safe I had a lot of questions. I learned that three monkeys have made the compound their home and that the larger one was brought in by the Nigerian Military soldiers as a baby.  I had to laugh when I heard his name because I thought it was perfect….Mr. 21 (for those of you in CPS you will understand why).  Actually Battalion #21 raised this fella.  By the end of the week I became friends with Mr.  21 and his furry friends. The evaluation went well and I was able to patrol to a couple of the IDP camps.  The children are all the same wherever I go…..they are fascinated by the colour of my skin.  I have attached several pictures of my patrol on this post.

When I returned to El Fasher I had a busy week ahead of me.  Not only was it our Canadian Medal Parade but it was also Jack’s 60th Birthday. I wanted it to be special for him and a birthday he will never forget.  It all started on the morning of May 15…..we woke up early and ran a 10km run as this was one of his goals.  On his last lap Mohamed and I had to find an excuse to not join him so we could create a finish line for him….we set it up at the entrance to Zam Zam where the Rwandan soldiers guard the gate……I found a bunch of Canadian flags that I used as a finish line.  When Jack came around the corner he was shocked and it ended up being a great finish for him (I can’t say it was anything like the Calgary Police Half Marathon but it worked).  

Throughout the day I decorated his office with balloons and pictures from his past which I had received from his lovely wife back in Canada.  The other thing he did not know was that I was planning a surprise party for him at the German’s accommodations several days later.  So I had to have a small birthday dinner for him at Zam Zam with a couple of friends.  The day of the surprise party I told Jack that we were going to the German’s for a house warming party (they just moved into new accommodations)……was he ever surprised!!!!!!! He had no idea and it was a wonderful night.  Lots of laughs on his part.  As a birthday gift we got Jack a Jalabyia (traditional Sudanese outfit). 

On May 17th I received my UN Medal of service. Our Norwegian counterparts asked us to join in their medal parade as we started the mission together and we were a small group.  It was a memorable day and I think our guests enjoyed themselves.
After that I was off on CTO.  This time Mike and I travelled to Egypt for 17 days. We had a spectacular time.  My friend Mohamed joined us and showed us all the sights.  It was so much fun seeing it from a local perspective.  I spent the first couple of days in Cairo waiting for Mike.  Mohamed put me up at his relatives’ house.  I thought it was going to be a bit awkward at first but I immediately became part of the family. Mohamed took me around Cairo and we also drove to Alexandria (beautiful city).  I could not go to the pyramids without Mike so that was the first thing we did when he arrived.  There were hardly any tourists.  We had the pyramids all to ourselves. The funniest thing was Mohamed just drove right into all these destinations. …we had door to door service.  

I finally got the chance to ride a camel......what an ab workout that was.  Whenever the camel gets up, sits down or goes down a hill you are holding on for dear life.  It feels as if you are going to fly off the thing and it is a long way down.  The pyramids were worth seeing and I think Mohamed and Mike were tired of me by the end of the day because we drove to several other pyramids that I was very interested to see outside of Cairo.  After that we flew to Luxor to start our Nile Cruise to Aswan.  Before we sailed we took in some sites and even went up in a hot air balloon.  The Nile Cruise took 4 days. We arrived in Aswan where we spent two days.  One of those days we had to get up at 3am to drive to Abu Simbel which is about 40 km from the Sudan border.  During this trip Mohamed arranged for us a private guide and driver who were remarkable (I have all his contact information so if anyone is interested this is your guy- his name is Hossam).  Anyway, Hossam arranged a private boat for us to take us to this Nubian village.  I felt like royalty passing all the other tourists who had to share their boat with several other people.

From Aswan we flew back to Cairo and headed to Sharm El Sheik (Red Sea) which is like Egypt’s Mexico.  We spent the rest of our trip relaxing in the sun and water, quading into the desert at sunset, and snorkeling and diving in Ras Mohammed National Park.  I wish I had photos to show you but unfortunately my camera was left on one of the local buses we took to the old market and all my pictures are gone.  All I can say is that Sharm is worth going to.

The adventure began on my way back into mission.  When I arrived in Khartoum the city was hit by a massive haboub.  It shut down all UN flights and many International flights were also cancelled.  I stayed at the Canadian Military House and the place was covered in dust/dirt…….you could not sit down anywhere.  There was a cloud of dust that filtered throughout the place and makes it hard to breathe and even see.  The haboub kept me stranded in Khartoum for 3 days.  It was exhausting because I had to get up at 4am every morning to go to the UN airport for 5am to see if there was a flight.  You then had to wait there all day till they eventually told you it was cancelled and you could leave.  Next day you had to do it all over again.  So by the time I returned to El Fasher I was exhausted and could really use another CTO.


Evaluating the Administration Officers at the Mournei CPC



On patrol at one of the Mournei IDP Camps.  Interacting with some of the local
 children outside the medical clinic.

One of the local IDP children in Mournei

On patrol with Team Leader, Amadou (Gambia) at one of the schools in the Mournei IDP camp. As you can see the children just follow you everywhere you go.  You can also see that we have the Togo Protection Force around us at all times.


While on patrol we stopped at one of the schools where registration was being conducted for all children up to the age of 4.   The World Food Program (WFP) are trying to update their records in order to be able to provide these families with food.


Police Advisors taking a report from one of the local store keepers at an IDP camp in Mournei.  Three men on horseback carrying weapons tried to break into this shop but were unsuccessful.  If this store keeper reports this to the GoS Police he would have to travel over 30 km to the station that is assigned to his area.  Even though there is another station approximately 5 km away this man would be turned away.  These people do no have vehicles and their only mode of transportation is usually a donkey.


You can find mangos everywhere in West Darfur.  They cost 1 Sudanese Pound
 for a dozen...that is about 30 cents.



While on patrol at one of the IDP camps in Mournei we stopped at a local market and met with some of the female Community Policing Volunteers (CPVs).  This is one of the programs that UNAMID Police Advisors train the local IDPs.

Some of the children selling vegetables at the local IDP market.

On patrol in Mournei.  Being escorted by the Togo Protection Force.  As you can see there is not much in between IDP camps and villages. 
The Togo Protection Force that were on patrol with me in Mournei.


Here he is...Mr. 21 and his counterpart. 
The Nigerian Military in Mournei used their imagination and created their own set of weights out of cement blocks and whatever else they could find around the CPC. 

Thought I would give it a shot and get a workout in.


Drinking "attaya" tea with Amadou and his friends in Mournei.  This is one of the traditional
 drinks that the Gambians enjoy on a daily basis.

At the end of my evaluation in Mournei it was time to say
goodbye to Mr. 21....he will be missed.



Final photo with the Mournei gang.


This is one of the 100 person tents (no air conditioning) that Police Advisors have to live in in El Geneina.  As you can see they have tried to make their own little spaces by using tarps so they can have some privacy.  Did I mention there is no air conditioning in this place.

The only way to travel around Darfur is by helo.  Can't say it is the most comfortable ride.


Jack completing his 10 km run around Zam Zam for his 60th birthday.

60th birthday dinner with a few friends.  From left to right...Martin (Germany), Momo (Egypt) and Soltan (Egypt)

As the Contingent Commander for Canada I had to give a speech at the Norwegian/Canadian Contingent Medal Parade.  As you can see the rest of the gang tower right over me.

Receiving my UN Medal of Service from the UNAMID Police Commissioner.


Jack and I with our good friend Mohamed (aka: Momo)

Group Photo of the Norwegian/Canadian Contingent and our Chief of Staff, Deputy Police Commissioner and Police Commissioner (from left to right)

I had to bring out the Calgary Police Service Flag at my medal parade.



And another one.......
  
  

In Khartoum on my way to CTO when a large haboub started to come across the city. You can see a wall of dust starting to slowly across the city.  When it gets closer the wind picks up and the sky becomes dark.  The dust is all stirred up in the air and it is hard to see and breathe.



First day in Cairo at the Citadel

I know many of you will love this photo. Mohamed took me to the Mosque of Mohammed Ali (Citadel). His aunt provided me with one of her veils so that I could enter the mosque. 
As you are aware your head and arms had to be covered so I had to put this on.


Attended the zoo in Alexandria.  I was given an opportunity to feed and pet one of the lions. 


Mohamed (Momo) and I at the famous Alexandria Library. 

Mohamed's Aunt (who I stayed with in Cairo) enjoying the beautiful view of the Mediterranean Sea in Alexandria.

Tahrir Square in Cairo.  In the background is the Egyptian Museum.  To the left of the museum is the building that was set on fire during the revolution in January.  This building was one of the government buildings where the ex-presidents party worked.


Here I am with my buddy Moses at the Great Pyramids.

Mike, Moses and I at the Pyramids in Giza. 

Mike and I with a couple of local friends at the Step Pyramid in Saqqara (25 km south of Cairo)

Mike and Momo taking a bit of a rest after having to chase me around the pyramids all day.  Here they are at the Bent Pyramid in Dashur which is about 35 km from Cairo.


Sailing down the Nile on our way to visit the Nubian village (as you can see we had our own personal boat). Mike and I are enjoying the boat ride with our wonderful guide Hossam.  The Nubian originate from Nubia which is the region between Aswan in Southern Egypt and Khartoum in Sudan. 

When we arrived at the Nubian village we attended a local school where we had an Arabic class taught by one of the teachers.  Here I am learning how to write my name in Arabic.

We were a small class so there was a lot of pressure to pay attention to the teacher.

We visited one of the Nubian families homes. They have several pet crocodiles which I was unsure of holding. I did not trust the hair elastic around it's mouth. 


At the High Dam near Aswan.  You are probably wondering who this child is.....well so am I.  Some lady handed me her child and asked if she could take a picture of me.  I am still a bit confused.










No comments:

Post a Comment