The haboubs (sand storms) are starting to pick up so being outside can be rather miserable. It is hard to see and breathe with all the dust floating in the air. Running is becoming a bit more difficult so I am trying to go early in the morning when the weather is calmer and the temperature is much cooler.
I have been on a couple of patrols to the surrounding Community Policing Centres (CPCs) in El Fasher. You will see some of my photos from the Abu Shouk and Al Salem IDP camps which are about 5 km from where I work in Super Camp. I also went on a double patrol to the Zam Zam IDP camp. That was a tough day both mentally and physically due to the long hours and the heat. I survived the day and the Police Advisors were very appreciative that I took the time to go out with them on patrol to see what they endure on a daily basis. This is part of my job in the Evaluation Unit plus I get an opportunity to meet new people and gain new experiences. I feel that I have changed the perception of our Unit. Many Police Advisors feared the "Inspection Team" and felt that we were just there to criticize and find faults within their units. I have taken a different approach and I am gradually seeing my co-workers changing their evaluation styles to a more positive approach. We are receiving a lot of feedback from the Police Advisors and on many occasions we are asked to come back to visit. Not only am I here to help the people of Darfur but it is also rewarding when I can show Police Advisors from various countries a different style of policing. The most senior Police Advisor in my Unit is from Pakistan and he now calls me "Coach".
In one of my postings I was talking about the Scout group that I met at the International Women's Day March in El Fasher. I have finally been able to track down the Scout and Girl Guide leaders and I am now volunteering my time working with these children three times a week. There are approximately 2000 children within El Fasher who are part of this organization. Now when I say organization it is nothing like the Scout and Guide groups back home. They really have nothing. No classrooms, no equipment, no stationary. Most of their time is spent outside in the heat where they try to entertain themselves with different activities such as singing, games, and drama. The leaders and children have welcomed me into their organization even though we speak two completely different languages. You know you are doing something positive when they want you to participate in their activities, they want to learn new things from you and at the end of the day they have these big smiles on their faces and they are asking you to come back. Mohamed has gone with me to translate and he has said that the leaders have seen a difference in the children. By being there we have raised their spirits.
I must mention that I am working closely with a Police Officer in Calgary who is also a Scout leader. He has asked if he could work with me and his Scout group in assisting these children. His Scouts are very interested in participating in an International Project and they have put together some items for the Sudanese Scouts and Guides. The children are going to be so excited when I am able to deliver the items to them....don't worry I will take lots of photos.
For those of you who are not aware Jack and I have been asked to extend our mission from 9 months to one year. We have completed our extension requests and we are now waiting for approval from New York. That means that I will not be returning to Canada until the end of October.....right in time for winter (not sure how I am going to survive the cold after being in this heat). One of the reasons that I would like to remain for the extra 3 months is so I can continue to work on my projects within the Darfur region. It takes several months to get yourself settled into mission and by the time you understand how everything works you are checking out. So this extension will give me some more time to do some good.
![]() |
Volunteering at the local Boy Scouts group in El Fasher |
![]() |
Here I am with the Boy Scout Leaders in El Fasher. As you can see in the picture they do not have much. |
![]() |
Working with the Girl Guides of El Fasher. Can you believe they are taller than me? |
![]() |
Girl Guides of El Fasher |
![]() |
Mohamed and I are enjoying a performance put on by the Girl Guides of El Fasher |
![]() |
The Girl Guides playing one of their traditional games. |
![]() |
Zam Zam Interim CPC where I was conducting a double patrol. There is no shelter so Police Advisors, the Formed Police Units (FPU) and the vehicles have to find shade under this one tree. It was around 45 degrees Celsius that day and we were at the Zam Zam IDP camp for approx. 13 hours. It was a long day. |
![]() |
On patrol at the Zam Zam IDP camp just 15 km from where I am living. We attended one of the food distribution centres. It was the last day for IDPs to collect their food which consisted of items such as sorghum and beans. |
![]() |
This is my friend Naji from Yemen who loves to be in all the photos. As you can see I am in the background with the Indonesian Formed Police Unit (FPU) who protect us while we patrol the IDP camps and villages. |
![]() |
Zam Zam CPC - Family and Child Protection Unit sensitizing the women in the IDP camp about hygiene. |
![]() |
Hanging out with the Jordanian Formed Police Unit (FPU) at the Zam Zam Interim CPC which is located inside the Zam Zam IDP camp. |
![]() |
Working with Sattu (Sierra Leone) at the Zam Zam IDP camp. As you can see the children filter into the CPC to be around the Police Advisors. This is what the children do from 6 in the morning till midnight. Many of them are not in school and begging us to give them something whether it is food, water or money. |
![]() |
This is one of the entrances to the Zam Zam Interim CPC which is located in the Zam Zam IDP Camp. As you can see the Hesco Bastion protection walls have been destroyed and the children are running freely within the CPC. |
![]() |
I almost rode this camel however the owner was taking a rest and by the time he woke up we had to go back out on patrol. I will ride a camel by the end of my mission. |
![]() |
Thought you might want to see what the accommodations look like for the European Police Advisors. As you can see their kitchen is outside and is not to pleasant when the haboubs hit. |
![]() |
My Norwegian friend Annette (aka: Cat Lady). She has adopted a few stray cats and these are just a couple of her kittens. These cats are living the high life while she is in mission. I think these are the only cats in Sudan who have flea collars. |
![]() |
The German Military and Police having Jack and I for dinner at their accommodations in the AMIS Compound. |
![]() |
Jack and Annette having a few laughs at the German dinner party. |
![]() |
My Auditing and Internal Evaluation Team at Achilefu's End of Mission party. He is the Nigerian Police Advisor dressed in dark green. He will be missed! |
![]() |
Welcome to the entrance of my home...Zam Zam Camp |























No comments:
Post a Comment