Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Catching up................

These last couple of weeks have been extremely busy and I have not had much time to update my blog.  I was in West Darfur for a week conducting an evaluation of the Zalingei Team Site.  I am now in Khartoum waiting to catch a flight to Greece.  I am finally on CTO and have 24 days to relax and recover from these last 4.5 months.


This is my team in Auditing & Internal Evaluation /Professional Standards Unit.  From left to right: My OIC Abdesalem (Jordan), Achilefu (Nigeria), Shabuddin (Bangladesh), Me, Saeed (Pakistan), Geene (South Africa). UNAMID promotes National and Gender balance in each Unit.



Patrolling Saluma Village by the Zam Zam IDP Camp. The children just come running when they see the UNAMID vehicles.

Unmdegad Village.  All the men and women were out in the fields working that day so I had an opportunity to interact with the elderly women and children of the village.


As we were driving back from patrol we came across one of the wood trucks......I am fascinated with how they load these trucks.  Behind you can see Camp Zam Zam where I live.


I went and had another visit with the Sheikh's family.  The Sheikh was not there so I interacted with the women who were studying the Koran.  The Sheikhs wife showed me how to wrap and wear the traditional tob.  It takes skill to put one of these one. 



Just outside the main entrance of the Sheikh's home. 


On February 21st I participated in a Peace March with the students that were graduating from the El Fasher University. 



Marching through the town of El Fasher.  We created quite a traffic jam.


The mountain range of West Darfur. 



Hard at work.  Conducting my evaluation of the Zalingei Community Policing Centre (CPC) in Zalingei (West Darfur).


Out on patrol in the Zalingei IDP camps.  I came across this young boy, Mohammed, who spoke English rather well.


An IDP camp in Zalingei.  It was heartbreaking to walk through this area and to see how people are living.


To think that this is a families home. 



I now know why everyone thinks I am from Ghana.  They have one uniform which is very similar to the Canadian Peacekeeping uniform.




Our first night in Zalingei the Rwandan Force Commander invited us to a going away party at his residence.  I have never seen so many cameras. 


Zalingei was overtaken by locusts while I was there. 




This is one of my favourite photos.
 

Returning back to El Fasher on the helo.  As you can see it is not the most comfortable ride. 


Me and Mohammad at the International Women's Day March in El Fasher.


Hanging out with the Boy Scouts of Sudan at the International Women's Day March. 

No comments:

Post a Comment