I meant to add these photos in my last post but I was short on time. As you can see things are very simple for the people and for the UNAMID personnel that work in this mission. The one thing I can say about the people of Darfur is that no matter how hard their living conditions are and the experiences they have been through they manage to have a smile on their faces.
Awhile back one of the Canadian Police Advisors from UNMIS (United Nations Mission in Sudan) wrote about his experiences in South Sudan. He titled his letter "I shall not pass this way again" which is a line from an inspiration poem that he found. He mentioned that this poem reminds us to do the best we can with the time that we have:
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore,
that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow
human being let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
Stephen Grellet, 1773-1855
![]() |
A village just outside El Fasher. You can see how they construct their homes which they call Tukuls. |
![]() |
While I was in Zalingei my friend Ron from South Africa had us over to his tent for dinner. As you can see from the picture you have to improvise when it comes to cooking. |
![]() |
The Zalingei IDP Camp hospital. There were many women and children patiently waiting for medication and treatment. |
![]() |
Interacting with the children in the Zalingei IDP Camp |
![]() |
Our Nigerian Formed Police Unit's APC. This is only one of the vehicles that is used to escort us while on patrol. |
![]() |
Women and children heading out to collect firewood. |










Hi Clare!
ReplyDeleteI loved seeing you in the Tob, Much more becoming than the uniform and the army boots!
The photo of you and the baby almost made me weep. You're not going to come home with an infant are you?
I wish there was some way all your friends could help some of the families there living in squalor. To think just on the other end of the computer we are all dining on amazing food, drinking wine and living in such luxury. Please let us know if there is anything we could do directly that would help the village, we'd be honoured to do it.
Liz and Remy