UNAMID held a party for all civilians, military and police the other night in Super Camp. Our friend Mohamed was able to arrange a private escort for us back to Zam Zam so we could attend the function. I felt like I was a teenager again being allowed to go out at night for the first time. Seriously, you can’t go anywhere past 1900hrs due to the curfew. So I went and had a wonderful evening and do what I love to do....…people watch. I have realized here in Africa that if music is playing then people will be dancing. It doesn’t matter where they are. They love to do what I call African line dancing. I didn’t realize I was supposed to bring my dancing shoes with me to this mission. I am still confused as to how some of these women are dressing up and wearing high heeled shoes. Ottawa never listed it in the travel orders. I really couldn’t imagine walking around in 6 inch heels through the desert…..it would not make me any taller because I would still be sinking in the sand. I am just going to stick with my good old flip flops and cargo pants. Besides they are much more comfortable. We ended off the evening with two APCs and about 15 Rwandan Military guys armed with AK-47s escorting us back to our camp. I have to say that the Rwandan Military are very professional and I always feel safe and secure when they are my Protection Force.
![]() |
UNAMID Valentine's Party - My friend Michael from Germany and Annette from Norway |
I tried out for the UNAMID Women's Football Team and I actually made it. Can’t say I really have the skills and footwork but at least I am one of the few that can run up and down the field. I have been to several practices and it is a pretty good workout playing on sand. The team was supposed to be flying to Entebbe, Uganda next week to practice however the flights have been cancelled due to the election that will be taking place today. I am beginning to think that I am cursed. Every trip I have planned whether it is leave or for work has had to be cancelled. There has been talk that we might try and fly to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia instead.
![]() |
UNAMID Women's Football Team |
Since my last blog I have attended two other military medal parades (Gambia and Jordan). The Gambian one was probably the most interesting parade that I have been to yet. They performed a cultural dance from an ethnic group known as Jola. Prior to the dance occurring my Gambian friend explained to me that the dance involves knife cutting. I thought he was joking around but I was wrong. He was telling me the truth and when the performance started I think my mouth dropped. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. A group of men dressed in Chia pants (which would give MC Hammer a run for his money) covered in Juju’s and carrying knives began chanting and dancing. The Gambian people are seen to be very superstitious. I have seen some of the Gambian people here in UNAMID wear jujus around their arms, waist and/or neck. Supposedly these jujus chase away evil, illness, and protect them from being cut from sharp objects like knives and razor blades. The men demonstrated the effectiveness of the Juju’s by first pouring "holy water" over themselves then trying to cut themselves with knives and machetes. As the men would dance they would try to cut their legs, arms, stomachs, and tongues – they drew no blood and left no marks. It seemed like they went into a trance and the people watching this dance became very excited and involved with what was going on. It was very intense for me as I was the only person at the parade from Europe or Canada. You could see everyone looking at me for a reaction however I was mesmerized by the whole thing. I really couldn’t believe what I was seeing.
![]() |
Gambian Medal Parade |
![]() |
Gambian soldier demonstrating how a machete knife will not cut him. |
![]() |
| You can see how this soldier is wearing jujus around his waist and head |
![]() |
![]() |
Gambian soldier displaying his outfit and jujus. You can see him carrying a large knife in his hand. |
![]() |
My Gambian friend, Sgt Buba Jammeh, at his countries medal parade. |
![]() |
Camels just taking a stroll past our camp |
![]() |
Arabic lessons with Mohamed. He is one tough instructor. |











No comments:
Post a Comment