Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Still waiting............

I have finally created my blog! I apologize that it took me so long to get it up and running.  Many of you probably think I am in Ottawa at this time for my pre-deployment training.  I was supposed to leave on September 8th however I am still here in Calgary.  We are currently delayed until further notice.  Today was the day were supposed to be flying out of Ottawa to Khartoum (Sudan).  Each day is a waiting game however I have been told by many people to get used to this. I expect to be leaving within the next week.  I will keep you posted.
In the meantime, I have been trying to say all my goodbyes and learn as much as I can about Sudan and its culture. I have been fortunate to meet a wonderful friend, Stephen Deng, who has taken the time to share his life story with me and provide me with as much knowledge and background on his country.  Stephen has taught me so much and I believe he has given me the foundation for what to expect in Sudan.  I find the culture fascinating and I look forward to working with the people within the communities.
Before I go any further I would like to thank my family, friends, and co-workers for supporting me in my decision to apply for this peacekeeping mission.  It has been a long process and I could not have done this without you.  Everyone has been so helpful and supportive and I hope this blog will provide you with insight into my experiences while working in Darfur. At this time I am still unsure as to what my role will be in UNAMID (United Nations African Mission in Darfur) however I know that I am up for any challenge.

On August 8th 2010, I was in Ottawa for the National Peacekeepers Day Ceremony



Pennie for your thoughts?

In the garden of the Governor General's home (Rideau Hall) with Sgt. Jim Shaw

8 comments:

  1. We will be thinking of you while you're away and I'm so glad we will have this blog to follow you on! Wishing you a safe trip whenever you go.

    Love you lots!
    The Wells Family xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Clare,
    this is an amazing journey you are embarking on and am so proud of you. We wish you all the best and look forward to reading your blog. Stay safe and know we all will be thinking of you.

    Lots of love,
    Julie and Ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Clare, We want to feel close to you while you're gone and keep tabs on your adventures - the good and not so good - while you are making a difference in Darfur and you WILL make a difference.
    Thanks for creating this - God Bless xo
    Stephanie & Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clare
    What an amzing journey you are about to embark on. We are thrilled to be able to follow along thru this blog,understand and embrace the difference you are making in Darfur. The world needs more people like you!!! Stay safe and God speed!
    Shelagh & David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Clare! I am behind on my e-mails so just checking out your blog now...are you in Darfur now? Or have you gone and returned? Or are you still waiting to go?

    Wow...what an incredible journey :)
    take care,
    Maryanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think I may have actually got onto your blog. Good luck, Clare, we will be thinking of you and wishing you all the best.
    love from us both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you All the Best on what is certain to be an exciting and challenging experience.
    Love,
    Auntie Terry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Clare,
    I see my first comment did not show.
    I'm so glad to hear you arrived safely. Hoping you're getting used to the heat at that end of the world. Have you been informed on where you will be stationed?? I'm very proud of you and hope all is well with you. Take care, and you're on my mind alot.
    P.S. Dan got the Sgt. position at CAART!
    Cheers,
    Marilyn :-)

    ReplyDelete