I have just returned from conducting an evaluation at the Umkadada Team Site/Community Policing Center (CPC) in East Darfur. It is a 55 minute helo flight and when you are stuffed in the chopper with about 20 other Egyptian soldiers in 45 degree weather it isn’t very pleasant. We received a warm welcome and due to the shortage of accommodations I ended up living with one of the female Police Advisors from Tanzania. She was wonderful however she liked to turn off the air conditioning at night so it was unbearable trying to get to sleep.
Umkadada is about 175 km from El Fasher. There are no IDP camps within this area however the villagers are still suffering from lack of water, food, medical supplies and security. After completing my evaluation I was able to go on two patrols to the Umkadada village. Before each patrol can be conducted the team must attend the GoS Police station to speak with the Officer in Charge to see what the security situation is like and to obtain permission to conduct a patrol through the villages. We also visited the Detention Centre where 43 prisoners were being held (2 of them females). It was like a large chicken coop. People were all huddled outside on the ground with a small brick building at the rear. I wish I could have taken photos however it is forbidden. I was fortunate to receive this opportunity as it is not easy to get access to these Detention Centers. During my visit we also escorted 20 physicians from India to the local hospital where they will be spend a week performing eye surgeries on several of the villagers.
![]() |
Saeed (Pakistan) and I at the entrance to the Egyptian Battalion Officers Mess in Umkadada |
![]() |
The Egyptian Military have made some pretty spectacular observation points around the Umkadada camp. |
![]() |
Here I am in the Gambian's accommodations having dinner. They made sure I was well fed. No such thing as cutlery here. Everyone eats with their hands and shares from the same plate. |
![]() |
While out on patrol in one of the villages Mariama (Gambia) shows how people attempted to grow crops but were unsuccessful due to the weather and climate. |
![]() |
Some children hanging around in one of the villages. |
![]() |
Conducting patrol at one of the water points in Umkadada village. |
At the animal market in Umkadada Village.
At the Umkadada Police Station with the OIC of the GoS Police, Lt. Khamal Bashir. As you can see my flak jacket is a tad on the large size and weighs about half of me. Two of our Language Assistants are there to help with the translation. I am still trying to work on my Arabic but it is not an easy language to grasp.
![]() |
Many of the villages in the Umkadada area do not have sufficient water. While on patrol the Egyptian Military have provided some of the villagers with water. |
![]() |
I am not sure if I could bring this fella home with me to keep as a pet. I have a feeling Taiga may not be too happy having to share her backyard. |
![]() |
Amani showing you what the terrain looks like in East Darfur. |
![]() |
Some of the local children. |
![]() |
Some more of the landscape in East Darfur. |
![]() |
These people have a remarkable way of loading all their supplies onto animals and vehicles. |
![]() |
The GoS Police and Prison Guards receiving training from UNAMID at the Umkadada Police Station. |
![]() |
UNAMID Police Advisor training the GoS Police and Prison Guards using one of the Language Assistants. |
![]() |
The Umkadada Market |
![]() |
Saeed and I with the Umkadada CPC Team just before our departure back to El Fasher |
![]() |
At the landing pad waiting to board our flight back to El Fasher. |






















No comments:
Post a Comment